Citizenship (Art.5 -11)
Acquisition of Citizenship:
- By descent : Present : registration in embassy.
- By registration : 1+ 6/8
- By Naturalization : 1 + 11/14
- By Incorporation of new territory.
- By Birth : 1993 : Atleast one parent, present : both father and mother. Children of foreign diplomats and enemy alien – no citizenship by birth
- By Deprivation : Govt by order depriving.
- By Termination : When one acquired another citizenship
- By renunciation : One renounces to be citizen of India by registration
Jan, 2015: PIO merged with OCI.
- All PIO card holders are now OCI card holders.
- Life long visa.
- Parity with NRI in economic, financial and educational fields except acquisition of agricultural and Plantation properties.
NRI: > 182 days outside India. He/She is a citizen of India.
Indian constitution like Canada provided for Single Citizenship.