What are invasive species? #upsc #ias
- An invasive species is a non native organism that causes ecological harm after being introduced to a new environment.
- Humans are responsible for the spread of a majority of earth’s invasive species, often carrying them to different parts of the world on ships.
- Once they enter a new ecosystem, invasive species can outcompete native organisms for resources like food, especially if they lack natural predators.
- Some invasive species also carry diseases that kill native organisms, and many will consume native plants and animals.
- Invasive species can ultimately cause the decline or extinction of native species, decreasing biodiversity in an ecosystem.
You must log in to post a comment.