India’s First Coastal Corridor
Vishakhapatnam – Chennai Costal Corridor
- The Visakhapatnam-Chennai Industrial Corridor section of the East Coast Economic Corridor, connecting four economic hubs and nine industrial clusters, will mark the first industrial corridor developed along India’s coast.
- The East Coast Economic Corridor will ultimately extend from Kolkata to Tuticorin
- The Indian government is keen to encourage manufacturing, including through its “Make in India” initiative, to maintain strong economic growth over the longer term and to create productive, well-paying jobs for a labor force that is growing by around 12 million people per year.
- The program will also focus on increasing women’s participation in the industrial workforce.
- Skills training for 25,000 male and female workers, entrepreneurs, and students along with an investor promotion plan is expected to help develop businesses along the corridor.