Indian Meteorological Department – IMD
- The Indian Meteorological Department (IMD), also referred to as the Met Department, is an agency of the Ministry of Earth Sciences of the Government of India.
- It is the principal agency responsible for meteorological observations, weather forecasting and seismology.
- It was established in 1875.
- IMD is headquartered in New Delhi and operates hundreds of observation stations across India and Antarctica.
- IMD is also one of the six Regional specialized Meteorological centres of the World Meteorological Organization.
- It has the responsibility for forecasting, naming and distribution of warnings for tropical cyclones in the Northern Indian Ocean region, including the Malacca Straits, the Bay of Bengal, the Arabian Sea and the Persian Gulf.