Causes of air pollution:
- Diesel vehicles are more polluting than petrol
- They are high in PM, Nitrogen oxide not good for health
- Ban 10 year old diesel truck entering city
- Vehicular emissions
- Dust emissions from construction work, thermal power plants etc..
- Burning of wastes etc..
- Benzene – byproduct of burning diesel.
- It is carcinogen (cancer causing tissue)..
- Short term inhaling causes drowsiness, headaches
- Long term inhaling causes disorders like anemia
- Effect on reproductive system on women and foetus
- Nitrogen di oxide
- From vehicle emission and coal based power plants
- Lung infection and respiratory allergies
- Carbon mono oxide
- Unborn babies, infants, elderly are at risk
- Particulate matter
- Dust to dirt and soot
- PM 2.5 > PM 10 (dangerous for human health, respiratory system)
How to avoid?
- Use public transportation
- Car pool
- Increase car tax during vehicle registration
- Put a cap on number of cars registered per year in the city
- Increase parking charges
- Lay more convenient roads for walking and biking
- Introduce congestion charges to avoid traffic [ congestion charge is a tax you pay to drive your private vehicles in certain zones of the city].. Cities like Singapore and London has them implemented
- Smoke emission report has to be checke