Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES):
- It is the preeminent annual entrepreneurship gathering that convenes emerging entrepreneurs, investors and supporters from around the world.
- It was started by U.S. government in 2010.
- It serves as a vital link between governments and the private sector, and convenes global participants to showcase projects, network, exchange ideas, and champion new opportunities for investment.
- Its aims to highlight entrepreneurship as means to address some of the most intractable global challenges.
- It will be the eighth annual GES summit.
- It will be the first GES summit to be held in South Asia.
- Since 2010, it has been hosted by Kenya, Morocco, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, Malaysia and last year it was held in Silicon Valley in the US.
- The Theme of GES-2017 is ‘Women First, Prosperity for All’, the main focus will be on supporting women entrepreneurs and fostering economic growth globally.
Areas of main focus:
The GES 2017 will focus on four key industry sectors:
- Energy and Infrastructure.
- Healthcare and Life Sciences.
- Financial Technology and Digital Economy.
- Media and Entertainment
India’s new role:
- The event will highlight India’s enabling environment for innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Through two and half days of training and mentoring sessions, networking, and investment matchmaking, the United States and India will forge new collaborations and launch new initiatives, while reducing the barriers inhibiting international growth and innovation.