- It is a system where magnetically levitating capsules are sent at high speeds through low-pressure tubes.
- It was entrepreneur Elon Musk who came up with the idea for a hyperloop.
- The Hyperloop project is being pegged as a mode of transport different from rail, mainly due to following reasons:
- It is said to be two-to-three times faster than the fastest high-speed rail, and in India, it would be possible for the pods (like cabins) to reach the peak speed of 1,100 km per hour on certain routes.
- Hyperloop departures could happen with a low frequency of a pod every 20 seconds.
- Hyperloop is estimated to have a smaller civil engineering footprint, with no direct emissions or noise