• INS Kalvari is a Scorpene-class submarine described as a “deadly predator”.
• It is one of six built by Mazagon Dock Limited in Mumbai as a part of Project-75 of the Indian Navy.
• Kalvariis a potent Man o’ War capable of undertaking offensive operations spanning across the entire spectrum of Maritime Warfare.
• Kalvari is named after a deep sea tiger shark and weighs about 1,600 tonnes.
• The state-of-the-art features of the Scorpenes include superior stealth and ability to launch crippling attacks with precision-guided weapons.
• The boat also has two 1250 kW MAN diesel engines for rapidly charging batteries.
• The submarine boasts of a highly advanced Combat Management System and a sophisticated Integrated Platform Management System.
• India has just about 15 submarines, a mix of Russian-origin Kilo-class vessels and German HDW submarines.