Everything about Kolleru Lake
• It is the largest freshwater lake and is located in Andhra Pradesh.
• It is located between Krishna and Godavari delta and covers an area of 308 km².
• The lake serves as a natural flood-balancing reservoir for these two rivers.
• The lake is fed directly by water from the seasonal Budameru and Tammileru streams and is connected to the Krishna and Godavari systems by over 68 inflowing drains and channels.
• It serves as a habitat for migratory birds.
• It supports the livelihood of fishermen and riparian population in the area.
• The lake was notified as a wildlife sanctuary in November 1999 under India’s Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972.
• It has been designated as a wetland of international importance in November 2002 under the international Ramsar Convention.