Q21. Which of the following embellishments have been used for the interior and exterior surfaces of Taj Mahal?
1. Stone carvings in high and low relief on the walls.
2. Delicate carving of marble into jalis and graceful volute
3. Creation of arabesques with pietra dura
4. Art of calligraphy with the inlay of jasper to write Quranic verses.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
A. 1 and 2 only
B. 1 and 3 only
C. 1, 2 and 4 only
D. 1, 2, 3 and 4
Exp: All the statements are true as four types of embellishments have been used with great effect for the interior and exterior surfaces of Taj Mahal.
1. 2. 3. 4. Stone carvings in high and low relief on the walls, The delicate carving of marble into jalis and graceful volutes (spiral ornament on the pillar), The creation of arabesques with pietra dura (yellow marble, jade and jasper) on walls and tombstones and geometric designs with tessellation. The art of calligraphy is used with the inlay of jasper in white marble to write Quranic verses. Calligraphy provided a decorative element on the walls and a continuous connection with the Almighty.