Which among the following statements is/are incorrect regarding the Government of India Act, 1935?
1. It provided for a federation comprising both the British provinces and the Princely states.
2. It provided for full responsible government at the Centre.
3. It introduced dyarchy at the centre.
4. It granted voting rights to all the males in India.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
1 and 3 only
1, 3 and 4 only
2 and 4 only
3 and 4 only
– It did not promise full responsible government at the Centre.
– It extended the electorate but not to every male.
– The act extended the franchise. This act introduced for the first time the direct elections. About 10% of the total population got the voting rights.
Salient Features of the Government of India Act 1935 were as follows:
● Abolition of provincial dyarchy and introduction of dyarchy at centre.
● Abolition of Indian Council and introduction of an advisory body in its place.
● Provision for an All India Federation with British India territories and princely states.
● Elaborate safeguards and protective instruments for minorities. Supremacy of British Parliament.
● Increase in size of legislatures, extension of franchise, division of subjects into three lists and retention of communal electorate. Separation of Burma from India
You must log in to post a comment.