Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF)
- Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF) is the cold war treaty signed between US and Russia in 1987. The INF treaty prohibits US and Russia from possessing, producing or test-flying ground-launched cruise missiles with ranges of 500 to 5,500 Km.
- The cold war era treaty also covers all land-based Missiles, including those carrying nuclear warheads. However, it does not cover air-launched or sea launched weapons. Recently US has decided to withdraw from the treaty due to several issues viz. Russia’s violation of the treaty, development and deployment of intermediate-range nuclear weapons by China etc.
- The agreement between India and Australia regarding the supply of Uranium is known as India-Australia Civil Nuclear Supply Agreement which was signed in 2014.
- The agreement between US and North Korea regarding the latter’s nuclear programme is called as US-North Korea Agreed Framework signed between both the countries in 1994.
- The nuclear agreement involving Iran, P5+1 countries and EU is known as Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) and is also known as Iran Nuclear Deal.