Discuss the positive and negative outcomes of the Non Cooperation Movement? (250 words)
- Introduce with the Non Cooperation Movement and reasons for it
- Analyse its positive and negative outcomes
- Conclude appropriately
The Non Cooperation Movement was the first nationwide mass movement, approved by the Indian National Congress at the Nagpur Session in 1920. It was a sequel to the Rowlatt Act, the Khilafat Movement and the Jallianwala Bagh Massacre. The movement began with Mahatma Gandhi renouncing the titles given by the British, resignation of membership from the local bodies, popularisation of swadeshi goods and khadi, boycott of government functions, courts, government schools and colleges, foreign goods. Legislatures were boycotted, no leader of the Congress came forward to contest the elections for the Legislatures.
Impact of the movement :
The most significant impact of the NCM was that it brought Gandhi to the forefront of National Politics in India. There was a mass imprisonment and the sense of terror of the jails was removed and “going to jail” became a badge of honor.
- Congress became the party of common man with widespread support of peasants, artisans, workers, intellectuals, etc.
- Charkha and Khadi became the symbol of Indian Nationalism.
- People got awakened about their political rights and privileges and realized that it is only through their own efforts that India could hope to be free.
- It revealed that the congress was the only organization while could properly direct national effort to gain freedom.
- The movement also revealed that communal problem is going to be a big problem and this problem of communalism is absolutely state sponsored.
- None of the reasons for which it was started, including the Jallianwallah Bagh tragedy, demand for swaraj, problems of Khilafat volunteers etc., got a remedy.
- The boycott of the educational institutions was not accepted by many of the leaders such as Lala Lajpat Rai.
- Some leaders did not like they way it was started, many other did not like the way it was conducted and most of them could digest the sudden withdrawal.
- Revolutionary activities in Punjab got a setback because nothing happened with the criminals of the massacre and some new outfits were born parallel to congress.
Despite being unsuccessful in the what it set out to achieve in the first place, the Non cooperation movement began a new era in the history of struggle of India for independence.
Subjects : History and Culture