Compare the origin and weather conditions associated with the tropical and temperate cyclones. (10 marks)
- Introduce with cyclones
- Compare the origin of the cyclones – in terms of causes, location, mechanism etc.
- Compare the weather conditions associated
- Conclude appropriately
A cyclone is a low pressure area in the atmosphere in which winds spiral inward. They can be either warm-core or cold-core types. However, on the basis of their area of origin, they are classified as : Temperate cyclones and Topical cyclones.
Tropical Cyclones: Cyclones developed in the regions between the Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn, are called tropical cyclones. The weather conditions of low latitudes, mainly rainfall regimes are largely controlled by tropical cyclones.
- The tropical cyclones have a thermal origin, and they develop over tropical seas during certain seasons. At these locations, the local convectional currents acquire a whirling motion because of the Coriolis force generated by the earth’s rotation. After developing, these cyclones advance till they find a weak spot in the trade wind belt.
- Tropical cyclones always origin in large water bodies.
Temperate Cyclones: While, Temperate cyclones (Mid-Latitude cyclones) are active over mid-latitudinal region between 35° latitude and 65° latitude in both hemispheres.
- When the warm-humid air masses from the tropics meet the dry-cold air masses from the poles and thus a polar front is formed as a surface of discontinuity. The cold air pushes the warm air upwards from underneath. Thus a void is created because of lessening of pressure. The surrounding air rushed in to occupy this void and coupled with the earth’s rotation, a temperate cyclone is formed.
- Temperate cyclones can origin on both landmass or water.
- Tropical Cyclones: The tropical cyclones are associated with heavy rain fall and high velocity of winds for short duration at small area, sometimes the rain and associated winds are so high that it can cause damage to life and property mostly at eastern coastal areas.
- Tropical Cyclones: On the other hand, temperate cyclone associated weather conditions are mild and overcast sky in initial stage and followed by moderate to heavy rain for long period of time on large area.
Because of India’s tropical location, it mostly gets effected by Tropical cyclones along a large part of its coast. Temperate cyclones are also of significance as they play a major role in bringing rain to the North-west India popularly known as Western Disturbances.
Subjects : Geography – Physical