- They are the places of international significance for the conservation of birds and other biodiversity.
- They are the distinct areas amenable to practical conservation.
Who release the list of IBAs?
- The new list of IBA’s is released by the Bombay Natural History Society, a partner of BirdLife International, in its recent publication called “Important Bird and Biodiversity Areas in India – priority sites for conservation”
- Kerala now has 33 IBAs with addition of nine new IBAs.
- Kerala IBAs include endangered, vulnerable, three critically endangered species(Whiterumped Vulture, Indian Vulture, and Red-headed Vulture) and near-threatened bird species.
Conservation threats faced by the birds:
- Anthropogenic pressure on the forests is very intense.
- Due to human interventions, birds (like Malabar Pied Hornbill, Orange-breasted Green-pigeon) of the low altitude flight suffer.
- Habitat fragmentation in high altitude areas is a major cause for concern as many species have no place to go.
- The high altitude areas are now surrounded by tea estates or plantations, leaving very limited habitat for species (such as White-bellied Blue Robin, Nilgiri Blue Robin, and Blackand-Orange Flycatcher).
Bombay Natural History Society:
- It is a pan-India wildlife research organisation.
- It was founded in 1883 with the aim of conservation of nature – primarily Biological Diversity through action based on Research, Education and Public Awareness.
- It is the world’s largest nature conservation partnership.
- It has 120 BirdLife Partners worldwide, one per country or territory and growing.
- It strives to conserve birds, their habitat and global biodiversity.
- It is working with people towards sustainability in the use of natural resources.
2015 UPSC Prelims question:
With reference to an organization known as ‘Birdlife International’ which of the following statements is/are correct?
1. It is a Global Partnership of Conservation Organizations.
2. The concept of ‘biodiversity hotspots’ originated from this organization.
3. It identifies the sites known/referred to as ‘Important Bird and Biodiversity Areas’.
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
a) 1 only
b) 2 and 3 only
c) 1 and 3 only
d) 1, 2 and 3
Correct answer: C
Section : Environment & Ecology