In focus: New Integrated tri-service agencies
- In October 2018, the Cabinet Committee on Security cleared the formation of 3 tri-service agencies in 3 critical domains of cyber security, space and special operations.
- The formation of the 3 tri-service agencies was recommended by the Naresh Chandra Taskforce in 2012.
- The 3 tri-service agencies that are being established include
- Special Operation Division
- Defence Cyber Agency
- Defence Space Agency
- Besides, India is also keen on restructuring the armed forces into 3 theatre-based integrated tri-service commands northern, western and southern on the lines on US (3) and China (5).
- The three new agencies are a small beginning to inject jointness and synergy among the Army, Navy and IAF. In the future, they can grow into full-fledged commands.
- The integrated tri-service agencies will draw staff from each service.
- They will be headed by a 2-star officer (Major General) and serve under the overall command of the Chairman, Chief of Staff Committee.
In brief: Special Operation Division
- India currently has Special Forces under the Army, Marine Commandoes (MARCOS) under Navy and Garuds under the Air Force.
- The Special Operations Division will be established to unify 3,000 commandos from all these special forces.
- The officer of the rank of Major General will be the Commander of the Special Operations Division.
- Maj Gen A K Dhingra, from the 1 Para-Special Forces unit will be the first commander of the Special Operations Division
- The Special Operation Division is established primarily to undertake major counter-terrorism operations.
- The future roles will include
- Unconventional warfare, including counter-insurgency and proxy wars
- Social welfare missions in peacetime
- Protection of important vulnerable points
- Strategic reconnaissance
- Special covert operations in peace
Global Special Forces
- Some of the major countries across the world have Special Forces. These include:
- United States Army Special Forces – Green Berets under the United States Special Operations Command
- The United Kingdom Special Forces controlling various British Special Forces
- German KSK Kommando Spezialkräfte (Special Forces Command, KSK)
In brief: Defence Cyber Agency
- Defence Cyber Agency will be headed by Rear Admiral serving under the command of the Chairman, Chief of Staff Committee.
- The existing Defence Information Assurance and Research Agency is being upgraded to Defence Cyber Agency.
- To protect Indian networks and systems
- Defend against foreign-origin or foreign-sponsored cyberattacks
- Synergizing cyber intelligence with Signals Intelligence, Electronic Intelligence and Human Intelligence
- Cyber deterrence
- Formulation of prioritised cyber target lists of potential adversaries
- Plan and execute retaliatory offensive operations
- Conduct training and cyber exercises
- Management of international cyber cooperation
Global Cyber Commands
- US has a Cyber Command under the US Strategic Command.
- In 2016, China established the Strategic Support Force as an integrated force for Cyber warfare and Space-based warfare
In brief: Defence Space Agency
- The Defence Imagery Processing and Analysis Centre (Delhi) and the Defence Satellite Control Centre (Bhopal) will be merged to form the Defence Space Agency
- It will be headed by an officer of the rank of air vice-marshal serving under the overall command of the Chairman, Chief of Staff Committee.
- It is tasked to protect India’s space assets under the INSAT, IRS, IRNSS systems.
- The counter-space capability is much needed in response to China’s demonstrated offensive capabilities in space. China is the second country after the US to have demonstrated this capability.