India to get ‘flying Oval Office’ with rocket shield
Headline : India to get ‘flying Oval Office’ with rocket shield
- India is all set to its own version of ‘flying Oval Office’ with advanced self-protection suites.
- Air Force One or Flying Oval Office as it is called, is the most famous aircraft that the US President travels in.
Desi Air Force One
- India will get its own version of Air Force One to ferry the President and Prime Minister on long-haul flights.
- The Indian version, soon-to-be “Air India One” or “Indian Air Force One”, will be a Boeing 777 aircraft retrofitted with some of the world’s most advanced security features, on par with US President’s plane.
LAIRCM self-protection suites:
- On India’s request, the US state department has now approved the sale of two B777 large aircraft infrared countermeasures (LAIRCM) self-protection suites (SPS) to India.
- The aim of the LAIRCM programme is to protect large aircraft from man-portable or shoulder-fired missiles.
- It can protect from an infrared missile attack by automatically detecting a missile launch, determining if it is a threat, and activating a high-intensity countermeasure system to track and defeat the threat.
- LAIRCM consists of missile warning sensors (MWS), a laser transmitter assembly, control interface unit (CIU) and processors to detect, track, jam and counter incoming infrared missiles.
- It has “radar warning receivers” which basically sound an alert if a hostile radar identifies the aircraft.
- Advanced electronic counter-measures on board the aircraft will be able to jam enemy radars.
- The LAIRCM suite directs an infrared beam onto the incoming missile’s infrared seeker.
- Then the advanced electronics in the aircraft activates various jamming algorithms in order to divert the path of the incoming missile.
- The advanced encrypted satellite communication centre on board the aircraft is shielded from electromagnetic interference from nuclear explosions.
Section : Defence & Security