International Training Centre for Operational Oceanography (ITCOocean)
- ITCOocean is being set up by ESSO-INCOIS in Hyderabad, India.
- ESSO-INCOIS or the Indian National Center for Ocean Information Service (INCOIS), under Earth System Science Organization (ESSO) is a dedicated institution for operational oceanography.
- The Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission will support ESSO-INCOIS for capacity building activities in the field of operational oceanography through ITCOocean.
- The facility can help in promoting excellence in integrated multidisciplinary oceanography on a global scale.
- The training programme will contribute to building a future ocean system which can directly serve the needs of mankind through improved marine monitoring and enhanced stewardship of the seas.
- It aims at promoting the development of scientific base, technology and information system for operational oceanography at national, regional and global scales.
- To provide advanced training in operational oceanography to young scientists and technical (S&T) persons on a continuous regular basis to create a large pool of young trained manpower with core skills in the sub-continent.
- To provide training on generation of data from oceans using in situ and satellite platforms, and data processing in real-time to generate forecasts and disseminate them to end users within the shortest possible time.
- To provide ship board experience and training in observational oceanography.
- To promote excellence in integrated multidisciplinary oceanography on a global scale to improve understanding and management of natural resources.
- To help scientists to be in a state of preparedness for nowcasting and forecasting the behavior of the oceans and also to address the role of ocean science and technology in delivering information critical to safety, commerce and environmental protection.