Socio Economic Caste Census (SECC) 2011
Socio Economic Caste Census (SECC) 2011:
- The Ministry of Rural Development commenced the Socio Economic and Caste Census (SECC) in June 2011 through a comprehensive door to door enumeration across the country.
- It is the first paperless census in India conducted on hand-held electronic devices by the government in 640 districts.
- It has generated information on a large number of social and economic indicators relating to households across the country.
- The parameters used in SECC were laid down by the S R Hashim committee appointed by the erstwhile Planning Commission of India.
- This involves, automatic exclusion on the basis of 14 parameters, automatic inclusion on the basis of 5 parameters and grading of deprivation on the basis of seven criteria.
Objectives of SECC:
- To enable households to be ranked based on their Socio- Economic status, so that State Governments can then prepare a list of families living below the poverty line.
- To make available authentic information that will enable caste-wise population enumeration of the country, and education status of various castes and sections of the population.
- All the personal information given in the Socio Economic Caste Census (SECC) is open for use by Government departments to grant and/ or restrict benefits to households.
Relevance of SECC:
- The SECC 2011 data will help in better identifying the beneficiaries of welfare schemes.
- The SECC helps to move to principle of ‘program specific indicators for program specific entitlements’.
- It will help in recognising many dimensions of poverty and tackling them with different programs, in multiple fields like health, education, sanitation, mid-day meal; others like affordable housing, disability can be targeted.
- The data can be used for targeted allocation of entitlements under various poverty alleviation programs.
- The SECC 2011 data can be used to identify beneficiary and expand the direct benefit transfer scheme as part of its plans to build upon the JAM (Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana-Aadhaar- Mobile number portability) trinity.