About New- generation anti-radiation missile (NGARM)
- NGARM is the first air-to-surface missile completely designed and developed by DRDO.
- The missile is capable of destroying enemy radars, tracking systems and communication facilities.
- It will be mounted on the combat aircraft of the IAF such as Sukhoi Su-30MKI and HAL Tejas.
- It can be launched from different altitudes and velocities.
- It has a strike range of around 100-km.
- A sensor on the tip of NGARM will pick up radio frequencies and destroy radars, tracking apparatuses and other communication facilities of enemies.
About Barak 8 Long-range surface-to-air missile (LR-SAM) system
- The Long-Range Surface-to-Air Missile (LR-SAM) system is an operational Air and Missile Defence (AMD) system used by Israel’s navy as well as by India’s navy, air and land forces.
- It is designed to defend the warships against any type of airborne threat including aircraft, helicopters, anti-ship missiles, and UAVs as well as ballistic missiles, cruise missiles and combat jets.
- It is capable of countering newest generation anti-ship missiles.
- It has maximum speed of Mach 2.
- Its interception range is 70-100 km
- Apart from the missile, the system includes a Multi Functional Surveillance and Threat Alert Radar (MF-STAR) for detection, tracking and guidance of the missile. This would provide the users the capability to neutralise any aerial threats.
Note: MR-SAM is the land based configuration of Barak 8
Section : Science & Tech