Why in News?
- The researchers of the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) synthesised a hydrophobic (water hating) hybrid molecular material.
- The material was synthesised by combining polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane (POSS) and diphenylalanine.
- The POSS molecule has unique properties of high thermal stability and fire retarding ability.
- Both POSS and diphenylalanine are naturally water repelling.
- The hydrophobic nature gets enhanced when both POSS and diphenylalanine are combined.
Properties of Hybrid material
- Hydrophobic nature: The folded ordinary paper and a hybrid material coated paper were drenched in the water. After drenching the paper without any coating could not be unfolded, while the coated paper could be unfolded and regain its original shape.
- Prevent corrosion: The nails coated with the hybrid molecular material and uncoated nails were exposed to water. While the nails that were not coated got rusted and those with the coating did not.
- Not reactive to metal: The coated silver artefacts were able to resist the formation of black colour on its surface when treated with hydrogen sulphide for 10 minutes.
- Inhibit bacterial growth: The hybrid-coated paper was able to inhibit the E. coli growth while E. coli was growing on the surface of paper that was not coated.
- Fire Retardant: The matchstick that had no coating burnt completely and the matchsticks coated with the hybrid material were able to extinguish the flame as soon as fire reached the coated portion.
- The hybrid material can protect artefacts from environmental pollution and corrosion.
- Plenty of accidents take place when people throw lighted matchsticks, by coating a portion of matchsticks with the hybrid material, such accidents can be prevented.
Section : Science & Tech