About 3D printing technology
- 3D printing or additive manufacturing is a process of making three dimensional solid objects from a digital file.
- The creation of a 3D printed object is achieved using additive processes.
- In an additive process an object is created by laying down successive layers of material until the object is created.
- Each of these layers can be seen as a thinly sliced horizontal cross-section of the eventual object.
- 3D printing enables us to produce complex (functional) shapes using less material than traditional manufacturing methods.
- The 3D printing industry encompasses many forms of technologies and materials. The 3D printing is being used in the following industrial sectors:
- Consumer Goods
- Industrial Goods
- High Tech
- Healthcare sectors, etc.
- 3D Printing in Medical field
- The outlook for medical use of 3D printing is evolving at an extremely rapid pace as specialists are beginning to utilize 3D printing in more advanced ways.
- Patients around the world are experiencing improved quality of care through 3D printed implants and prosthetics.
- 3D printing technology has been studied for possible use in tissue engineering applications where organs and body parts are built using inkjet techniques.
- Layers of living cells are deposited onto a gel medium and slowly built up to form three dimensional structures.
- This field of research is known as Bio-printing.
Section : Science & Tech