- It is the largest village of Sagar Island, located under the administration of Sunderbans.
- It is governed by the state government of West Bengal.
- It is situated just off the Bengal coast on the point where the River Ganga meets the Bay of Bengal.
- It is a place of peace, calm, golden sand beaches and of religion.
- Every year in the month of January, the island sees a huge gathering of devotees from all parts of the country who come to take a dip in the holy waters.
- The River Ganga is the holiest river in Hindu mythology.
- This place is also regarded as a holy destination like Prayag and it is believed that taking holy dip in this place can cleanse all the sins.
Every year, a long fair is arranged at the Ganga Sagar Island in January and February.
The fair becomes highly crowded on the Makar Sankranti day.
It is one of the most famous religious themed fairs in India.
Section : History & Culture