Q. Government has promised to double farmer’s income by 2022, in this light discuss the measures taken by government to implement the same. Also suggest suitable strategies to timely and sustainable achievement of this target.
Structure of the answer:
- Measures taken by government
- Way forward
The government has set a target of doubling farmers’ income by 2022 to overcome the distressed situation of agriculture. The situation was evident after large scale farmer’s protest in various parts of India.
The reorientation of strategy was needed due to following reasons:
- Earlier strategy focused primarily on raising agricultural output ignoring need for income augmentation.
- Farmer’s income remained low as compared to those working in the non- farm sector.
- The need was further felt considering the large scale farmers suicides after introduction of duty free agri trade.
Government has adopted following strategy to help farmer’s cause:
- To raise output and reduce cost of cultivation schemes such as Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana, Prampragat Krishi Vikas Yojana have been started.
- For protection against crop loss, Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana has been implemented nationwide. .
- Further, to address price volatility of perishable commodities Operation Green has been started.
- To reform agricultural marketing and processing sector, PM Kisan Sampada Yojana, E-NAM portal has been started.
- Lastly, to have sustainable development of agriculture and promote farmers income National Mission on Sustainable Agriculture has been started.
Suggestions to effectively achieve the target of doubling farmer’s income:
- The focus must be on increasing the use of quality seed, fertiliser and power supply to agriculture.
- The focus must also be on allied sector, wherein aim must be to improve herd quality, increasing artificial insemination
- Further, as per experts about one third income of farmer’s can be augmented through better price realization, efficient post-harvest management, competitive value chains
- Similarly, Farmers producer organization or Farmers Producer Company can also play big role. .
- There is also a need for mobilising States to own and achieve the goal of doubling farmers’ income.
Further, the reformative steps in agriculture must not be baby steps or incremental changes rather structural reforms are needed.