Digital India initiatives
Digital India initiatives
- The initiatives under Digital India fall under three umbrellas:
A.DI initiatives – Infrastructure
- Aadhaar identity platform is one of the key pillars of ‘Digital India’, under which every resident of the country is provided with a unique identity or Aadhaar number.
- It is a strategic policy tool for social and financial inclusion, public sector delivery reforms, managing fiscal budgets, increasing convenience and promoting hassle-free people-centric governance.
- BharatNet originally named National Optical Fibre Network or NOFN, aims to lay down 8 lakh kilometre of incremental optical fibre cable (OFC) to all the 2,50,000-plus Gram Panchayats (GP) in the country.
- The objective is to extend fibre connectivity — available at the state capital, district headquarters and blocks — to every panchayat, and provide broadband internet services to 69 per cent of India’s rural population.
- It aims to facilitate the delivery of e-governance, e-health, e-education, e-banking, and other services to the rural India.
Common Service Centres (CSCs)
- CSCs are the access points for delivery of essential public utility services, social welfare schemes, healthcare, financial, education and agriculture services, for citizens in rural and remote areas of the country.
- In doing so, it is enabling the government’s mandate of a socially, financially and digitally inclusive society.
- DigiLocker is a Digital Wallet to empower citizens digitally. It’s a secure cloud based platform for issuance, sharing and verification of critical lifelong documents or certificates.
- It provides access to authentic digital documents issued from over 100 issuers including, Central & State agencies such as Transport Department, Income Tax Department, Revenue Department, State & Central Education Boards etc.
- It has created a new ecosystem for true paperless governance by promoting usage of digital documents.
Government e-Marketplace (GeM)
- Government e-Marketplace (GeM) is single window solution for online procurement of common goods & services required by various government departments/organizations/PSUs.
- It aims to enhance transparency, efficiency and speed in public procurement.
- It also provides the tools for direct purchase, e-bidding and reverse e-auction to facilitate the government users to achieve the best value for the money.
B. DI initiatives – Services
- Bharat Interface for Money (BHIM) is an app that makes payment transactions simple, and quick using Unified Payments Interface (UPI).
- It enables direct bank to bank payments instantly and collect money using a Mobile number or Payment address.
Crime and Criminal Tracking Network & Systems (CCTNS)
- CCTNS aims at creating a comprehensive and integrated system for enhancing the efficiency and effectiveness of policing.
- It intends to create a nationwide networking infrastructure for investigation of crime and detection of criminals.
- Developed by NCERT, e-Pathshalaprovides educational e-resources including textbooks, audio, video, periodicals through website and mobile app.
- Geographic Information System (GIS Software) is designed to store, retrieve, manage, display and analyze different types of geographic and spatial data.
- It allows users to produce maps and other graphic displays of geographic information for analysis and to build decision support systems in any organization or research bodies.
Goods and Service Tax Network (GSTN)
- GSTN aims to provide reliable, efficient and strong IT infrastructure for the smooth functioning of the Goods & Services Tax.
- This will enable economic agents to use the entire nation as One Market with minimal indirect tax compliance cost.
- CoWIN is a cloud-based IT solution for planning, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating COVID-19 vaccination in the country.
- It tracks the beneficiaries and also the vaccines at the national, State and district levels, along with monitoring the utilisation, wastage and coverage of vaccination.
C. DI initiatives – Empowerment
Pradhan Mantri Jan DhanYojana (PMJDY)
- PMJDY aims to bring about comprehensive financial inclusion of all the households in the country.
- It incorporates universal access to banking facilities, financial literacy, access to credit, insurance and pension facility.
Aadhaar Enabled Payment System (AEPS)
- AEPS is a payment service that allows a bank customer to use Aadhaar as her identity to access her respective Aadhaar enabled bank account and perform basic banking transactions through a Business Correspondent.
- The National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology (NMEICT) uses the potential of ICT, in teaching and learning process for the benefit of all the learners in Higher Education Institutions.
- It aims to address all the education and learning related needs of students, teachers and lifelong learners.
Targeted Public Distribution System (TPDS)
- Under the TPDS, the States are required to formulate and implement arrangements for identification of the poor for delivery of foodgrains and for its distribution in a transparent and accountable manner.
- ONORC scheme was launched to enable migrant workers and their family members to buy subsidised ration from any fair price shop anywhere in the country under NFSA
- The objective of Smart Cities is to promote sustainable and inclusive cities that provide core infrastructure and give a decent quality of life to its citizens.
- It also incorporates a clean and sustainable environment and application of Smart Solutions.
- SVANidhi scheme is a micro-credit scheme, thatprovides loans for working capitalto around 50 lakh street vendors who have been affected due to the Covid-19 crisis.
- Vendors can take working capital loan of up to ₹10,000, that is repayable in monthly instalments within one year.
- Svamitva scheme aims to provide the ‘record of rights’ to village household owners in rural areas and issue property cards.
- These cards are physical copies of property titles of the villagers’ homes and the area surrounding their respective houses (as opposed to cultivated land).